PEDAGOGICAL AND TECHNICAL SUPPORT FOR REMOTE TEACHING
- Want help navigating the challenges of teaching remotely? Schedule a one-on-one consultation with a pedagogy expert from the Center for Teaching and Learning or with experts in any of the Learn@OregonState technologies (Canvas, TurnItIn, Top Hat, etc.).
- If you’re building or teaching a remote course for the first time, or looking for ideas to improve the teaching-learning experience of an existing course, Designing and Teaching an Effective Remote Course is for you.
- Want help managing synchronous Zoom sessions? University Information and Technology (UIT) has trained assistants to help. View additional information or request a Summer assistant.
Check for more resources on Oregon State’s Keep Teaching website.
Faculty Media Center
Need help with personalized, on-demand remote support when creating and integrating media? The Faculty Media Center is offering Zoom office hours that will fit even the busiest of Beaver schedules.
COMBINED SITES IN CANVAS TO BE DISCONTINUED
Effective summer term 2020, the OSU Canvas team will discontinue automatic creation of all combined Canvas sites (“C” sites). Previous combined Canvas sites (including spring 2020) will remain in place and untouched. There is no change to cross-listed (“X”) course sites.
MUTE NOTIFICATIONS BY COURSE
Have a course from which you don’t want Canvas notification emails? Mute notifications by course.
BULK DUE DATE CHANGES
Tired of the many clicks required to update due dates for each term? Use the new edit assignment due dates feature to update all course due dates from a single page in Canvas.
RUBRIC ACCESS IS MOVING
Ever had trouble finding the rubrics in your course? The Rubrics link is moving to the course menu.
LIMIT ASSIGNMENT SUBMISSION ATTEMPTS
Looking for a way to limit the number of times a student can re-submit a document for an assignment? We have a simple solution. First, enable the assignment allowed attempts option in your course settings, then edit the assignment and set the number of allowed attempts.
DIRECT SHARE FEATURE
Sharing Canvas content with a colleague, but don’t want to add them to your course? Use the direct share feature in Canvas to quickly share assignments, quizzes and more.
HIDE COURSE SUMMARY DETAILS
Do you use the Syllabus page but don’t like the chronological listing of assignments? You can now hide the assignment listing by editing the Syllabus page.
FACULTY DASHBOARD VIEW IS UPDATING
Ever wonder which of your Canvas course sites were published and available to students? The updated Dashboard will display two sections for faculty: published courses and unpublished courses. Unpublished courses display at the bottom of the Dashboard.
ZOOM INTEGRATION: ARE YOU UNSURE WHERE TO FIND ZOOM RECORDINGS?
By default, all recordings made in Zoom automatically migrate to your ONID account in Kaltura. You’ll find them in “My Media” in Canvas and MediaSpace. Should you use the automatic transcription feature in Zoom, you will also find those transcripts automatically populate as captions for your recording in Kaltura.
NEW TOP HAT TA ROLE
The new TA role feature has been released to select universities and OSU was included. Now, Oregon State students can be added as TAs to a course. More good news: they’re able to use the same email for their student and TA accounts in Top Hat. Check out Top Hat’s TA Role support article for more info.
NEW QUESTION PREVIEW
A ‘question preview’ panel is available when creating a new Top Hat question. You can view the question from the students’ view, and can check that it’s displaying as intended.
TOP HAT VIRTUAL CLASSROOM COMING THIS SUMMER
Nimble is the new normal. Top Hat is working on product updates — available later this summer — in response to the flexibility needed to teaching remotely, in-person, or a blended version of the two. Top Hat Pro will be an all-in-one active learning platform for delivering interactive class meetings both online and in-person via the Top Hat Virtual Classroom. To learn more about Top Hat Virtual Classroom please reach out to your Top Hat representative or firstname.lastname@example.org and they will connect you with your Top Hat representative.
SUBMISSION OF HANDWRITTEN WORK ONLINE
Gradescope has new features for its online assignments, including a “File upload” question type, which allows students to upload files of handwritten work to an online assignment.
NEW FUNCTIONALITY FOR PROGRAMMING ASSIGNMENTS
Gradescope has support for rendering Jupyter Notebooks on Gradescope programming assignments.
NEW GRADESCOPE GUIDES AND RESOURCES
- Weekly webinars, “Getting Started with Gradescope for Remote Assessment”
- Remote assessment with Gradescope FAQ guide
- A video for instructors on creating online assignments and one for students submitting online assignments
- Updated PDF homework submission guide for students
SELF-MERGE GRADESCOPE ACCOUNTS
Gradescope users (both instructors and students) now have the ability to self-merge multiple accounts under SSO.
Student Multimedia Studio
SMS is hosting all-day media consultations during our Zoom open hours.
Join our Media Pop-Ins during the weeks of June 22, July 13, July 27, and Aug 24 at 11:00 am, 2:00 pm & 4:00 pm for the following content expert breakdowns:
- Monday: ZOOM BASICS — what you need to know for video conferencing
- Tuesday: FACE TO FACE INTERVIEWS — Best techniques for video Interviews
- Wednesday: BASIC DESIGN ELEMENTS — Take your research poster to the next level
- Thursday: HOW TO SHOOT VIDEO THAT DOESN’T SUCK — The name says it all!
- Friday: VIDEO EDITING DECODED — A walkthrough of video editing techniques and FAQs
Details are on the Student Multimedia Studio website.
Tech Keep Teaching Assistants (TechKTAs)
Need a little help to make your remote teaching Zoom sessions run a little smoother? Read about how TechKTAs are helping faculty do what they do best: teach.